Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Trash to Treasure

I love a little Trash to Treasure demonstration and remaking things is my new hobby. There are tons of blogs that feature the amazing ideas women have when they see a beat up dresser or really ugly thing and remake it into a beautiful piece for their home. www.reinventedkb.com is one of my favorite sites for inspiration. Decorating is one of my goals for this year and since I love a challenge, reinventing is the decor method du jour. It's exciting to decorate with something you made, at least made part of and some projects are as simple as a coat or two of spray paint.
Above you will notice a lovely gilt picture frame with one of my favorite paintings in it. I've loved this painting since I saw it in a book as a young girl so when I found this at a yard sale I picked it up. As much as I love it, I don't love the gold frame or the weird double mat action. Why would anyone choose that mat for that image? Maybe I'm just not artsy enough to get it but oh well.
For this I took out the image and the weird mat. After painting the frame black, I rubbed over the detail with a paper towel while the paint was wet to show some of the gold. I had to redo the painting and rubbing several times to get it to the point of not looking like a mistake. Then I chose a photo of me and my husband from the olden days (that's what our 6 year old calls it.), trimmed it a bit to fit the mat opening. In my scrap box I found this brown fabric with a hint of gold that I attached to the backing then put it all together. Not earth shattering but it hangs in my laundry room over the washing machine and everyday I can look at it as I joyfully launder our clothes and think about the olden days when four loads was our laundry for a week not 2 days. Then I think about how much more we laugh and smile because of the five reasons I have a jillion times more laundry than in those not so olden days. Boy is it worth it!

4 comments:

Pam @ This Humble House said...

That turned out great! Painting those old gold frames black like you did really updates the look of them!

Elece Hollis said...

Very nice, Girly. I like it and your laundry musings.
Mama

Its So Very Cheri said...

You did a great job. I really like the fabric on the side of the picture.
This is my first time to your blog. I hope you will come by for a visit and stay awhile.
Its So Very Cheri I also have a party on Mondays called the Knock Off Knock Out go check out some amazing projects.

Cheri
Its So Very Cheri

Rebekah said...

Great minds think alike :) I was just at Goodwill yesterday & bought some old gold & silver frames which I plan to paint all the same color & use to fill in a huge empty wall I have been perplexed about decorating!