Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Resting

These little feet, what can you say. Is there anything more darling than baby feet. My littlest one often sleeps with his feet folded up under his diapered bottom. I can't remember if any of his siblings slept like this but then again there are a lot of things I can't remember lately. A lack of sleep and chaotic days can do that to a person. Quite often people ask me how I manage with five little ones under six years of age and the truth is that I don't always manage very well. By the grace of God and lots of help from my husband we make it through every day with a minimum of bumps and bruises, physically and emotionally. Today I was able to spend some time alone at my mother-in-law's lovely home while she was out of town. Something in my crazed eyes must have tipped my husband of that I needed a break. Most of the time I was able to rest and found myself thinking about expectations. Much of the stress of my day comes from expectations that are not realistic or even humanly possible in this time of my life. I would venture a guess that I am not all that unusual as a mom in this area. I want kids to play peacefully and share their toys, to be content with their food and not always ask for snacks, shut cabinet doors and not suck on the tube of toothpaste because I told them not to. How hard could that be? So I was able think about what my expectations should be. That life will be messy and loud, people will fight, they will be constantly hungry, I won't be able to have meaningful devotions every day without interruptions, I should check the toilet seat before sitting down. Part of life with kids, part of the gift I have been given. My prayer is that I can rejoice in my gift instead of asking for the receipt. His mercy is new every morning, even if that morning starts long before the sun comes up!

3 comments:

Megan said...

That's a lovely perspective, Audra. Thank you for sharing it.

Elece Hollis said...

That's my girl! I would point out that you do an extremely fine job with your home and children. I have known women who couldn't manage one or two children. And you have a beautifully clean house, entertain with grace, show hospitality, decorate, sew, write, and create great meals and breads beside. I am very proud of you! You are a treasure.

stitching under oaks said...

wonderful perspective. I'm so thankful His mercies are new every morning...I need fresh mercy every single day!